Some of the main concepts and issues that leave me with convictions are issues of income inequality, poverty, racism, and housing discrimination. Poverty is one of the most difficult issues to resolve because we live in a capitalist society where the rich get richer and the poor remain poor. Through social stratification society has been arranged in social hierarchy based on access to wealth, power, and prestige. Because we live in a society that is highly segregated, class social class and socioeconomic status are important.
Prior to taking this class I knew that inequality in america was a big problem but i never thought about how housing discrimination affected minority groups. After watching America Divided, I was amazed and ashamed to realize that tenants and landlords racial discriminate against people of color, gentrification hurts minority communities, and redlining is a racist housing policy. Also as the semester went on I gained insight to where I personally sit in the American Class System. Although my family is considered high income because of my dads job and accumulation of my mom and sister's income,I know the reality of it is the expensive of life makes my family the working class. I consider myself in the lower class because I'm a college student who is broke. Because of my life experiences and knowing how hard it it to move up in society, I have gained better understanding of inequality.
To me social inequality in america is the effect of unequal opportunities, based on status, wealth, power, racism, and prejudice. Social Inequality affects gender , education, and life chances. Understanding social inequality will help give one perspective and can help in resolving societal conflict, and in explaining various phenomena
No comments:
Post a Comment