Monday, April 24, 2017

Week 6 C-SPAN Response


What did each Presidential Candidates discussed during the forum on reducing poverty?
 After watching this video what are your personal reactions to their plans on reducing poverty?

Each presidential candidate Ohio Governor John Kasich and Florida Senator Marco Rubio talk about the problem of poverty and possible solutions to reduce it in America. Marco Rubio briefly says the cure to poverty is getting a job. Rubio claims that we “treat” poverty with federal programs but we don’t “cure it”. Rubio believes instead of corporations overseas creating jobs in the U.S., and giving the States more flexibility on welfare reform will reduce poverty. Both candidates agreed that both parties Democrats and Republicans, need to work together for a definite solution. Some possible solutions stated included better education, and job training. Yet Governor John Kasich emphasizes that a “one size fit all” approach to fixing poverty is unrealistic. Marco Rubio implied to start we need to have people genuinely care about those in poverty. Rubio wants to have an increase in per child tax credit, he wants to reduce recidivism rates by rehabilitation in prisons. Furthermore, he argues that we have an outdated accredited system that needs to be changed. I like how he wants to put a focus on vocational schooling. Rubio wanted to start a corporate scholarship program and open pell grants to those pursuing vocational schooling. I think education and opportunity to learn a trade is essential in fixing poverty. Ohio Governor John Kasich talked about how we need to freeze all federal regulations on small businesses, or have less of them. He argued that we are losing community banks and for students K-12, we need to focus on preparing students for jobs that currently exist. I like his approach because it is realistic and could help steer many youth in the right career direction. I also agree with Marco Rubio when he says, “we shouldn’t have an international school board, states and local level should have control.” Giving states control would give more resources to fix individual school district problems. Overall I was surprised how the Republicans addressed ways to combat poverty. Although they had good points I still have my doubts because, they are politicians and sometimes politicians talk about solutions but don’t follow through with action.

No comments:

Post a Comment