http://playspent.org/
After playing the game spent, I realized how hard it was to live in poverty. In the game I decided to pay up to $800 in rent just to shorten my commute to work expenses. After the landlord found out about my pet, I was charged $360, which left me broke by day 5. Whats sad is most people wouldn't pay the fine, and be left to give away their pets. After reading the quiz I found it surprising that the federal minimum wage is $7.25 and after a year earning a total of $15,080, its still $1,257 below the poverty threshold of $16,337. Yet the government believes this is a livable wage for a single parent.
The statement "Behaviors of the poor are not the cause of their poverty, but as a result of their poverty" to me means, those in poverty could be in poverty because of how difficult it is to climb out of poverty. The game showed me that everything is expensive and costs money, and the most unexpected things can put you in debt. When your poor, poverty can disable you, regardless of how frugal you are with money.
No comments:
Post a Comment