Last year in 2016, a federal appeals court ruled that banning an employee from wearing their hair in dread locks is not racial discrimination. The 11 Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed a case brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against an Alabama company that refused to hire a woman because of her dreadlocks. The EEOC tried to fight the business for violating Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin.
However the Courts disagreed in a 3-0 decision saying that dreadlocks though "culturally associated with race," aren't an "immutable characteristic of black persons." I find this appalling because dreadlocks are a popular hairstyle among the black community. I see this ruling as covert racism and discrimination against African Americans. I am growing my hair out and as a black man, and I realize that I will be discriminated against in society because of it. This is a example of social inequality that is supported by institutional power.
This is extremely discouraging because individuals should never be hired based on their looks but by the characteristics they have within the profession. Hopefully employers will not become biased because they are now allowed to.
ReplyDeleteThis is very troubling. If employers actually do this than they are further contributing to the inequality that continues to plague this nation.
ReplyDeleteHair shouldn't matter employers should base hiring a person on their skills and what they can contribute to their companies. This is on of the dumbest things I have heard in a long time and I can see this being fought in someones courtroom because it is a form of discrimination.
ReplyDelete